This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARN APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES EAST OF MARKINGTON HALL, WITH ATTACHED CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES EAST OF MARKINGTON HALL, WITH ATTACHED CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1149829

Location

BARN APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES EAST OF MARKINGTON HALL, WITH ATTACHED CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Markington with Wallerthwaite

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Mar-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330984

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 26 NE MARKINGTON WITH HIGH STREET WALLERTHWAITE (north side)

5/63 Barn approximately 30 metres east of Markington 6.3.67 Hall, with attached chapel (formerly listed as Barn and Outbuildings at Markington Hall).

GV II

Barn and attached outbuildings, now chapel. C16 barn, possibly earlier, with C19 and C20 restorations, outbuildings converted 1939 by Lord Illingworth for the Wilberforces. Timber frame clad in sandstone, limestone and cobble, attached range of rubble; pantile roofs with eaves courses of stone slates to barn. 5-bay barn with side aisles and attached chapel range, projecting at right-angle on left. West front: quoins. Large central double board door; blocked ventilation slits to right. Chapel range has 4-panel doors and paired pointed windows. Rear (towards road): low cart entrance with sandstone surround. Left return: attached outbuilding, now a garage, not of special interest. Right return: 3 rows of 3 blocked slit vents. The roof, steeply-pitched at ridge, shallower towards eaves. Interior: posts are set on padstones and have clear carpenters marks. Braces to tie beams and arcade plates. The barn has been described by the North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group (1977) when it was concluded that the original barn, possibly pre-1500, was of 3 bays with side and end aisles and timber-framed outer walls. Mortice holes on the surviving posts suggest that the interior was originally divided by timber partitions. The trusses supporting the roof are composed of narrow principals with collars and short king-posts. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group, Report Number 283, 1977.

Listing NGR: SE2907165219

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in Report Number 283, (1977)

National Grid Reference: SE 29071 65219

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 09:03:45.

End of official listing