This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1149833

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL, WESTERNS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Markington with Wallerthwaite

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330991

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 26 NE MARKINGTON WITH WESTERNS LANE WALLERTHWAITE (west side)

5/69 Church of Saint Michael

GV II

Church of Saint Michael. 1844 by A H Cates for Mr Wilberforce, in early Gothic style, with restoration 1968. Gritstone, Westmorland slate roof. 5- bay nave with bell-cote at west end and south porch, bay 2. Lower-roofed 2- bay chancel with vestry on north side. Porch has pointed arch with hood- mould surmounted by statue of Saint Michael in a niche. Board door with strap hinges. Trefoil-headed lancet windows to nave and chancel. Stepped diagonal buttresses, ashlar copings with crosses to gable finials. Interior: fine roof structure : raised crucks on corbels in nave, and a type of waggon roof with scissor braces to chancel. The 3-light east window was designed by William Wailes and the west window is a memorial to John Stanley Tute, the first vicar, who died in 1897. The bellcote and west end of the nave roof were damaged by gales in 1962 and rebuilt by 1968. The vestry was destroyed by fire in 1973 when the Sanctuary roof was also damaged. The church was rededicated in 1974.

Listing NGR: SE2863265081

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 28632 65081

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149833 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:40:26.

End of official listing