Church of St John the Evangelist

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149834

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: Church of St John the Evangelist, Berrygate Lane, Sharow, HG4 5BT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St John the Evangelist
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 19:03:59.

Location

Statutory Address: Church of St John the Evangelist, Berrygate Lane, Sharow, HG4 5BT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Sharow

National Grid Reference: SE 32768 72089

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/04/2018

SE 37 SW 2/71

NORTH YORKSHIRE HARROGATE SHAROW BERRYGATE LANE (east side) Church of St John the Evangelist

(Formerly listed as Church of Saint John the Divine, previously listed as Church of St John).

6.3.67

GV II Church of St John the Evangelist. 1825 with chancel added 1874. Nave and tower by George Knowles, civil engineer. Ashlar, grey slate roof. Wide three-bay nave with tower at west end and south porch. Chancel of two bays with chapel on south side and organ and vestry on north side. In Perpendicular style.

Tower: four stages with trefoil-headed window to third stage and three-light trefoil-headed belfry window, both with flat hood-moulds. Corner buttresses and embattled parapet. Nave: three bays with stepped buttresses and embattled parapet. Three-light Perpendicular windows, the left window partly obscured by small gabled porch with corner buttresses, double-chamfered arch and double door with wide boards and strap hinges. Chancel: two bays with two-light early Gothic-style windows. The east window is Perpendicular and of three lights.

Interior: fine gold-embossed panelled timber roof to nave. Chancel has tiled floor and contemporary choir stalls. A memorial on the south side of the nave to George Knowles (d1853), designer of the nave and tower, of marble with carving in relief of a broken bridge and a weeping willow tree, by T Milne of London. The east window, removed from the nave to the chancel when this was added, was painted by George Hedgland who also painted the west window of Norwich cathedral. A printed sheet giving a detailed history of the church and published c1960 is held in the National Monuments Record.

Listing NGR: SE3276872089

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330993

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing