PLOMPTON HALL AND FLANKING WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1149836

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: PLOMPTON HALL AND FLANKING WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of PLOMPTON HALL AND FLANKING WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149836 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 13:00:43.

Location

Statutory Address: PLOMPTON HALL AND FLANKING WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Plompton

National Grid Reference: SE 35721 54009

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 35 SE PLOMPTON PLOMPTON HALL

5/226 Plompton Hall and flanking walls (formerly 8.3.52 listed as Plompton Hall)

GV II*

Country house and flanking walls. c1760. Probably by John Carr for Daniel Lascelles. Ashlar, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Rusticated quoins. Wide centre bay breaks forward slightly. Central C20 glazed door with fanlight and narrow margin lights and, above, C20 6-pane window with semicircular wrought-iron balcony all in tall, round-arched recess with voussoirs and impost band. Round-headed niches flank the door, with circular niches above. Side bays - blind windows to ground floor, sash with glazing bars inserted on left and above two 6-pane sashes. Plain lintels and sills throughout. Deep eaves cornice. Triangular pediment over central bay. Hipped roof. Stacks to left and at rear, centre. Rear facade: projecting canted bay, centre, with stack and C20 inserted windows. Interior: Adam-style fireplace in white marble in entrance hall. Short flanking walls, approximately 3 metres high, link the house to stable buildings (q.v.) Wall to left has 3 ball and cushion finials. Later additions built against north face of these walls not of special interest. The house appears to have been converted from the south range of the stables when Daniel Lacelles moved to Goldsborough Hall (q.v.) in 1762 and building work on the much larger house to south-west of the stables ceased. W.A. Atkinson, Goldsborough and its Neighbourhood, 1922, p. 67. W.A. Eden & R.B. Wragg, "John Carr, Stone Cutter Extraordinary", Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society, N.S. Vol 24, 1980, p.23.

Listing NGR: SE3572154009

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330897

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Atkinson, W A , A Short Account of Goldsborough and its Neighbourhood, (1922), 67
'Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society' in New Series, , Vol. 24, (1980), 23

End of official listing