THE PRESBYTERY AND ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT JOSEPH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149847

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: THE PRESBYTERY AND ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT JOSEPH, COLBER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRESBYTERY AND ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT JOSEPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 13:54:42.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PRESBYTERY AND ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT JOSEPH, COLBER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Bishop Thornton

National Grid Reference: SE 26070 63359

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 26 SE BISHOP THORNTON COLBER LANE (north side) 8/17 The Presbytery and Roman Catholic Church of Saint Joseph GV II Presbytery and church. Presbytery 1790 and Church 1809 for Richard Talbot and Charles Saul on land given by Stephen Ingilby of Raventoftus (qv). Restored C20. Coursed squared gritstone, concrete tile roof. Presbytery: 2 storeys with attics, 3 bays. Central glazed door with C20 porch, flanked by 4-light windows with flat-faced mullions, some renewed C20. First floor: 3- and 4-light windows of similar type. End stacks. Left return: 2-light mullioned window lights tall attic storey. Interior: the original chapel was in the attic of this house, and is reported to contain a collar-beam roof, reused. Not seen at resurvey. Church attached to right of presbytery: 4 bays, each with a plain round-headed window. Stone cross at right gable end. Entrance porch at east end (right) with board door. Interior: original 6-panel double doors with strap hinges between porch and body of church; a narrow 6-panel door links the chapel to the presbytery. No other original fittings. The strong local Roman Catholic tradition is recorded in the mid C20 stained glass windows. The site for the Presbytery was given by Stephen Ingilby who lived at Raventofts Hall (qv). Raventofts had been an important refuge for Catholics and the priest serving the Medieval church of Saint John, (the tower only survives (qv)), lived at the house. Stephen Ingilby was a conformist and probably wanted to remove the recusant connection from Raventofts. B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale, 1967, p 380.

Listing NGR: SE2607063359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330937

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 380

End of official listing