This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CASTLE MILL WEAVING SHED

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CASTLE MILL WEAVING SHED

List entry Number: 1149865

Location

CASTLE MILL WEAVING SHED, WATERSIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Knaresborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330880

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3456 KNARESBOROUGH WATERSIDE (south side)

8/210 Castle Mill: weaving shed (formerly listed as Block E under Castle Mills 25.3.83 (consisting of blocks A to E))

GV II

Mill building. Early-mid C19. Coursed squared gritstone, Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 x 11 bays. North facade: C20 panelled door to bay 3. Large windows with 63 and 49 panes to ground and first floors, containing side-sliding sashes, Hipped roof. Left return: small-pane windows to ground floor; 1st floor, left: iron loading doors with projecting pulley rail over. 2 small-pane windows to right. Interior: stone floor to ground floor; original timberwork throughout, with iron supports. The Castle Mill was converted from cotton to flax spinning in 1811. In 1832-3 it was owned by John Vipont and Company and was run by a 25 h.p. water driven mill. In 1835 Samuel Wilkinson had considerably extended his machinery and by 1836 there were 200 workers employed. In 1847 John Walton leased the mill and installed a steam engine and power looms. He employed 423 workers in 1851. B Jennings, Harrogate and Knaresborough. 1970.

Listing NGR: SE3476956807

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Jennings, B, A History of Harrogate and Knaresborough, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SE 34769 56807

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:21:44.

End of official listing