This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1149870



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Knaresborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330794

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/125 No 107 (Knaresborough House) 5.2.52 GV II

Town house, now council offices. Late C18 for the Collins family. Coursed squared limestone, stone slate roof. 3-storey, 5-bay square central block flanked by single-storey, 2-bay wing to left and 2-storey, 2-bay wing to right. Central panelled door with fanlight and portico with Tuscan columns supporting fluted frieze, dentilled cornice and triangular pediment. Sashes with glazing bars, projecting sills and flat arches throughout first and second floors, 6-pane sashes to 3rd floor. Balustraded band at first-floor level. Moulded eaves cornice, hipped roof, wide lateral stacks. Rear: flanking wings single-storey, windows and balustrade as front. The house became the property of Knaresborough Council in 1951. Interior: entrance hall with 2 pairs of columns with plain beaded capitals. 6-panel doors, tiled floor. To left: wide cantilevered staircase of 2 lights with plain balustrade. Venetian landing window contains painted glass with monograms and coats of arms. Council Chamber at centre of ground floor rear rooms, has plaster ceiling frieze of triglyphs and lamps and classical style fireplace of carved wood.

Listing NGR: SE3482057268

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 34820 57268


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 01:25:09.

End of official listing