MEMORIAL TO ELY HARGROVE IN CHURCHYARD 1 METRE SOUTH OF CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149901

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: MEMORIAL TO ELY HARGROVE IN CHURCHYARD 1 METRE SOUTH OF CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE PARSONAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEMORIAL TO ELY HARGROVE IN CHURCHYARD 1 METRE SOUTH OF CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149901 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 03:01:50.

Location

Statutory Address: MEMORIAL TO ELY HARGROVE IN CHURCHYARD 1 METRE SOUTH OF CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE PARSONAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Knaresborough

National Grid Reference: SE 34729 57177

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH THE PARSONAGE (north side)

6/191 Memorial to Ely Hargrove in churchyard 1 metre south of Church of Saint John the Baptist

II GV

Chest tomb. 2nd quarter of C19 with mid C20 restoration. For Ely Hargrove (d1818), Christiana, his wife (d1780), and Mary his daughter. Gritstone. Moulded plinth, octagonal fielded panel to ends, a central octagonal fielded panel flanked by hexagonal fielded panels to sides. Large top slab has roll-moulded edges and deeply-incised lettering. The inscription eulogises Ely Hargrove, "The celebrated historian of this town / and the surrounding country / and one whose / Indefatigable Literary Pursuits / were not more exemplary than his faithful and honourable / discharge of all the relative duties / of domestic and social life: / In him was realized / The rare unity of talent with / The strictest integrity; / And his death ... / Evinced the composure of a superior mind, / with the Christian hope of Eternal peace. / Superior to the ills of Time / His lengthened days in peace he trod, / Till death remov'd to scenes sublime / This servant of the living God; / where now, with feeling more refin'd / He pitys those he left behind. /" The tomb was moved to its present position from outside the west end of the church when the churchyard was landscaped in 1973. Ely Hargrove was born in Halifax in 1741 and moved to Knaresborough in 1762 as a printer and bookseller. For a time he was a librarian at Harrogate. He published 'The History of the Castle, Town, and Forest, of Knaresborough, with Harrogate, and its medicinal springs' in 1775 which had run to 7 editions by 1832 and remains the most quoted source of information on the town. H Speight, Nidderdale, 1894, p 293.

Listing NGR: SE3472957177

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330765

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H, Nidderdale, (1894), 293

End of official listing