ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149921

Date first listed: 15-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, BOND END

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149921 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:08:04.

Location

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, BOND END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Knaresborough

National Grid Reference: SE 34659 57324

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH BOND END (south-east side)

6/49 Roman Catholic Church of Saint Mary (formerly listed 15.5.68 as Church of St Mary (Roman Catholic))

GV II

Church of St Mary. 1831. Coursed squared gritstone, Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays, central 3 bays slightly projecting and pedimented. C20 glazed door in addition to right. Ground floor: central single-storey porch, now blocked to form chapel, flanked by 6-pane sashes with C20 frame far right. Single-storey projecting bay to left. Round-arched niche with statue above porch. Other windows are tall sashes with 4 panes, the upper 2 segmental-arched, with projecting sills, first-floor sill band to central 3 bays and first floor lintel band. Eaves cornice, central triangular pediment with cross in relief. Ashlar coping. Conical ventilator to roof. Rear: ground-floor windows blocked, first-floor windows as front. Interior: C20 redecoration and fittings. 2 cast-iron columns with acanthus capitals support balcony at west end. Ceiling divided into 8 panels with egg-and-dart mouldings. Large roundel with fan motif to centre panel and roundels with flower and leaf motifs to outer panels. Organ built 1860 and installed 1961. The building was designed to look like a private house, shortly after the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829. The foundations are said to have come from the ruins of St Hilda's Chapel, Rudfarlington, but no early stonework was visible at resurvey. Anon, Handbook of Knaresborough, (c1889-1900) p 31. H Speight, Nidderdale, (1906) p 48.

Listing NGR: SE3465957324

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330712

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Handbook of Knaresborough, (1889-1900), 31
Speight, H, Nidderdale, (1906), 48

End of official listing