This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL TO REAR OF NOS 20 AND 22

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL TO REAR OF NOS 20 AND 22

List entry Number: 1149929

Location

PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL TO REAR OF NOS 20 AND 22, BRIGGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Knaresborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330737

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3556 KNARESBOROUGH BRIGGATE (west side, off)

9/74 Primitive Methodist Chapel to rear of Nos 20 14.4.78 and 22

- II

Chapel and Sunday School, now coat manufacturers' premises. 1854. Coursed squared gritstone, Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 x 3 bays with gable entrance. Double board doors with overlight in porch with flanking pilasters with incised decoration and shallow triangular corniced pediment. 16-pane sashes with plain lintels and projecting sills throughout. Projecting band at eaves level forms base of a triangular gable pediment, with coping, containing oculus and weathered inscription with date. Interior not inspected. The chapel was built by the Primitive Methodist Society which had been established in Knaresborough in 1819. They had previously used a rented schoolroom for meetings. B Jennings (Ed), Harrogate and Knaresborough, 1970, pp 385, 390.

Listing NGR: SE3502356825

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Jennings, B, A History of Harrogate and Knaresborough, (1970), 385,390

National Grid Reference: SE 35023 56825

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149929 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 10:09:10.

End of official listing