WHIXLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149939

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1952

Statutory Address: WHIXLEY HALL, WEST LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHIXLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149939 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 05:08:11.

Location

Statutory Address: WHIXLEY HALL, WEST LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Whixley

National Grid Reference: SE 44148 58324

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 45 NW WHIXLEY WEST LANE (north side, off)

3/79 Whixley Hall

8.3.52

GV II

House, now 2 dwellings. Mid-late C17, 2 builds, with restoration of 1907. Red brick, English bond, C20 ashlar, stone slate roof. H-shaped plan with rear courtyard, the south and west ranges apparently added to the east range. 2 storeys, 7 first-floor windows, the 2 at each end in slightly projecting wings. Stone-capped plinth, central C20 6-panel door with overlight in heavily-moulded ashlar surround with consoles supporting broken segmental pediment with vase. Wooden cross-windows with glazing bars under flat brick arches. Wings have giant pilaster strips which contain the windows and ground-floor drip-mould. Deep wooden modillioned eaves cornice. Hipped roofs to wings. Stack on ridge between centre block and left wing. Second stack far right. Rear: ground floor, left, a 4-light mullioned window in the north end of the east range. Tumbled brickwork in gable. Probably re-set datestone inscribed '1840 L.W. in scrolled surround W.' built into the right return of this range. Remaining windows mostly C20. Left return: (west side) of 8 bays has a re-set datestone of 1680. Right return (east side) has scattered fenestration and an external stack, a 3-light mullioned window to first floor left with large staircase window below and a re-set datestone inscribed 'RT KT 1654'. Interior: east range contains fine dog-leg staircase with turned balusters and tall angularly-carved newel posts rising high above the moulded handrail. An engraving in the hall inscribed 'Christopher Tancred's seat 1698' shows the south front before the C20 restoration, but not very different. Christopher Tancred died in 1754 and bequeathed the hall as an almshouse for 12'decayed gentlemen'. The hall remained an almshouse or 'hospital' until after 1850 but was disused in 1881. The central section of the south front was apparently restored and rebuilt by Walter Brierley in 1907, but he followed the original design quite closely. Kelly's Directory of Yorkshire West Riding, 1881, 1889, 1904, 1912. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, 1967, p 552. William and Co., Directory of Towns and Villages Hull 1844.

Listing NGR: SE4414858324

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330658

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 552
William, , Company, , Directory of Towns and Villages, (1844)
'Kelly's Directory' in Yorkshire West Riding, (1912)

End of official listing