This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STABLES, WALL LINKING STABLES AND HOUSE AND GARDEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLES, WALL LINKING STABLES AND HOUSE AND GARDEN

List entry Number: 1149948

Location

STABLES, WALL LINKING STABLES AND HOUSE AND GARDEN, RUDDING LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Follifoot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330677

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 35 SW FOLLIFOOT RUDDING LANE (east side, off) 4/14 Stables, wall linking stables and house and 8.3.52 garden (formerly listed under Rudding Park House and Follifoot gateway)

GV II

Remains of former stable block, now stores. 1805-24 with alterations 1950- 71. For the Honourable William Gordon and Sir Joseph Radcliffe, completed by R D Chantrell, and alterations by Claude Phillimore for Captain Everard Radcliffe. Coursed squared gritstone, Westmorland slate roof. Single storey, 2 ranges: a tall 3-bay block to west and a lower block at right- angles, to south. Main block: central projecting bay with wide central door with window of 24 panes above, flanked by small-paned sash windows with flat arches. Eaves cornice and blocking course. Hipped roof. Central bay surmounted by clock and bell-cote with lead roof. Flat-roofed bay to right has round-arched opening with C20 double board doors. South block: central round-arched opening with C20 double board doors and triangular pediment. Board door left, window and door with overlight to right. Ashlar copings to outshut roof left, and central pediment. Interiors not inspected. The south range gave access to glass houses which stood against the south wall, demolished since 1966. An arched building, probably a coach house, was standing on the north side of the stable yard in 1949 but was demolished 1950-1960 when a large service block was taken down between the house and stables. The coach house appears to have been rebuilt as a garden shelter on the south side of the wall linking the stables with the house, and the 4 sashes with glazing bars in this wall are the remains of the ground floor of the 2-storey service block. A mid-C20 single-storey range, not of special interest, now stands against the north side of the wall. Rudding Park was bought by Sir Joseph Radcliffe in 1824 and his architect, R D Chantrell (designer of Leeds Parish Church) completed the building, including the service range on the west side of the house. Captain Sir Everard Radcliffe began to redevelop the buildings in 1945, and by 1972 when the property was sold, the service block had been reduced to a screen wall, and the north stable block was transferred to the south side of the wall as a garden room. The architect involved was Mr Claude Phillimore. A G L Hellyer, "A New Garden in a Reptonian Setting. Rudding Park, Yorkshire," Country Life, June 24th 1971, pp 1592-1594. Arthur Oswald,"Rudding Park, Yorkshire, I," Country Life, February 4th, 1949.

Listing NGR: SE3331353183

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 24 June, (1971), 1592-4
'Country Life' in 4 February, (1949)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

National Grid Reference: SE 33313 53183

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:50:28.

End of official listing