WALLS OF WALLED GARDEN WITH SOUTH BUILDING AND 3 GATEWAYS WITH GATES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149964

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: WALLS OF WALLED GARDEN WITH SOUTH BUILDING AND 3 GATEWAYS WITH GATES

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLS OF WALLED GARDEN WITH SOUTH BUILDING AND 3 GATEWAYS WITH GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 19:39:02.

Location

Statutory Address: WALLS OF WALLED GARDEN WITH SOUTH BUILDING AND 3 GATEWAYS WITH GATES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Great Ribston with Walshford

National Grid Reference: SE 39087 53987

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 35 SE GREAT RIBSTON RIBSTON PARK WITH WALSHFORD 5/33 Walls of walled garden with south building and 3 gateways with gates

GV II

Walls of walled garden, with building on south side and gateways on west and east sides. Late C18 and possibly mid C19. Walls and building red brick, English bond. Approximately 3.5 metres high, with ashlar coping. Building on south side: 2 storeys, 3 bays, north face has central round-arched opening, flanked by 12-pane sash windows. 3 windows above, of 9 and 12 panes. Brick sills. Parapetted roof. The archway leads through to a greenhouse or conservatory built against the raised south wall of the garden. 2 gateways and gates at north ends of east and west walls. Square-section brick piers with banded cornices and urn finials. Double-gates with ramped tops. Arrow-headed bars, pendants to top rails; lock rails with circles and arrowheads. The gateways stand opposite each other and originally a wide path crossed the gardens at this point. Gateway at south end of west wall: sandstone Gothic arch, double-chamfered and with hood-mould. Double gates 1 metre high, wrought-iron. Bars and arrow-headed dog bars. Scrolled top rail and side panels. This archway is surmounted by a huge grotesque Janus head from the C17 garden layout. The opening forms an entrance from the garden into the Pinetum created by Mr. Joseph Dent after 1857. Many of the 70 varieties of fir trees planted at that time survive in this part of the park. 'The garden is now a paddock. Former gardener's house and bothy at north end converted C20 and not of special interest. Butlers house on east side not of special interest. H. Speight, Nidderdale, 1894, p195.

Listing NGR: SE3908753987

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330607

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H, Nidderdale, (1894)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

End of official listing