CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1149974

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149974 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 01:13:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Hunsingore

National Grid Reference: SE 42852 53578

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH YORKSI]RE HARROGATE 5338

SE 45 SW HUNSINGORE CHURCH STREET (north side)

6/59 Church of St. John the Baptist

GV II

Church of St. John the Baptist. 1867-68 by Charles Kirk of Sleaford for John Dent of Ribston Hall. Pink sandstone and ashlar, Wesmorland slate roof. C14 Gothic-style 4-bay nave with north and south aisles; tower of 3 stages with tall broach spire at west end of south aisle; south porch; 2-bay choir with apsidal chancel. South porch has hood-mould with head stops (possibly Queen Victoria and the donor). Main door has fine wrought- iron strap hinges. 2- and 3- light plate tracery windows throughout. Lucarnes to spire. Off-set flat buttresses to chancel. Decorative stonework to eaves, ashlar copings. Interior: lofty arcade with pointed arches to south aisle, original fittings throughout, including font beneath tower, pulpit, fine organ and reredos with decorated polychrome tiles. Grey marble floor to chancel. Original light fittings. Window glass: west end by Meyer of Munich, east end by Hughes of London. Stone memorial to Sir Henry Goodricke, d.1833, at east end of south arcade. Many brass memorials to members of the Dent family, including one to Joseph Jonathan Dent Dent (sic), d.1907 after a ministry of 52 years in the parish. H. Speight, Nidderdale, 1894, p.151.

Listing NGR: SE4285253578

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330638

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H, Nidderdale, (1894), 151

End of official listing