This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF ST MARY ATTACHED TO THE MANSION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST MARY ATTACHED TO THE MANSION

List entry Number: 1149995

Location

CHAPEL OF ST MARY ATTACHED TO THE MANSION

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Allerton Mauleverer with Hopperton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330582

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 45 NW ALLERTON MAULEVERER ALLERTON PARK WITH HOPPERTON 3/3 Chapel of St. Mary 18.8.83 attached to The Mansion (Previously listed as Chapel adjoining Allerton Park) GV II*

Roman Catholic chapel of St. Mary. c1807. Possibly by Atkinson of York, for Charles Philip, 16th Lord Stourton, with later extensions and alterations for William, 17th Lord Stourton. Brown and cream brick, partly rendered, Westmorland slate roof. 3 bay nave, single bay crossing with transepts and single bay chancel. Entrance is from The Mansion at west end. Windows throughout are lancets with Gothic-glazing-bar sashes. At east end 3 blind lancet arches and circular panel above; gable with stone coping topped by cross. Interior; late Gothick-style stucco with 4-centred arch vaulting and blind lancet panels. Central eastern panel contains C19 crucifixion; C20 wooden reredos and fittings. West end has balcony leading from former Lord Stourton's bedroom. The building is being thoroughly repaired and restored, much of the interior is therefore not visible. The west end, stuccoed, is shown in a drawing of the late C18 house and is described as the chapel room (part of the dining room) and chapel. See H. Speight, Nidderdale, 1894, p. 199.

Listing NGR: SE4140558064

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H, Nidderdale, (1894)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

National Grid Reference: SE 41405 58064

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149995 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 09:27:43.

End of official listing