This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LEATHLEY HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LEATHLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1150013

Location

LEATHLEY HALL, LEATHLEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Leathley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330518

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 24 NW LEATHLEY LEATHLEY LANE (east side, off) 4/50 Leathley Hall

22.11.66

GV II

House. Early C18 and C19. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 9 first-floor windows, the central 3-window block breaking forward slightly and gabled. Alternate chamfered quoins to wings and central block. C20 central glazed double doors with fanlight, flanking columns with open pediment. Flanking and 3 first-floor windows to central block are narrow, 8-pane sashes with moulded architraves. Flanking wings have larger sashes with glazing bars and moulded architraves to ground and first floors. String-course at first-floor level curves up to quoins of side wings. Gable to central block and left end have shaped kneelers. M- shaped roof, ashlar coping left, hipped roof right. Ridge stacks left and flanking centre block. Interior not inspected. The house appears to have been the manor house of Leathley until it was sold to Walter Ramsden Fawkes of Farnley in the second half of the C18. The name 'Manor house' is now applied to..another, smaller, house in the village (qv). Robert Hitch (d 1723) occupied it as Lord of the Manor in the early C18 and in his diary entry for 13 February 1718 John Warburton recorded that Robert had been 'adorning and beautifying it with a new south front, a wing to the east, and outhouses, offices, gardens and other embellishments'. For further information see H Speight, Upper Wharfedale, London, 1900, p 112.

Listing NGR: SE2365746811

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Speight, H, Upper Wharfedale, (1900), 112

National Grid Reference: SE 23657 46811

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150013 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:06:53.

End of official listing