This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BALDERSBY PARK HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BALDERSBY PARK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1150028

Location

BALDERSBY PARK HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rainton with Newby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330444

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 37 NE RAINTON WITH NEWBY BALDERSBY PARK

3/68 Baldersby Park House - 10.7.70 GV I

House. 1718-21 with extensive C19 refenestration and C20 alterations to interior. By Coten Campbell for Sir William Robinson. Ashlar, with Westmorland slate roof. Palladian style. 2 storeys. 5-bay square principal block set forward with 3-bay flanking pavilions joined by wings. Central 3-bays have 4 attached giant fluted Ionic columns carrying entablature and dentilled triangular pediment with scrolled foliage and deep eaves. liodillion eaves cornice. Parapet with balustrade. Flat roof with gable to pediment and chimneys to each side. Central panelled double door flanked by pilasters with entablature under radial fanlight in architrave with keystone moulded and with head. Architraves with triangular pediments to ground floor windows; eared and shouldered architraves to first floor windows, all windows plate glass sashes. Left return: 5 bays, continuing in style of front. Central door flanked by Ionic columns with alternate frosted rustication and plain blocks, large rusticated voussoirs and triangular pediment above. Segmental pediments to ground floor windows. Left return: 7 narrower bays, continuing in style of front, but all openings C19 or C20 except central door with Ionic frosted-rusticated columns, entablature and dentilled triangular pediment. Wings to left and right of main block each have a colonnade of 4 Ionic columns, that to the left now glazed, with balustrade over and a giant Diocletian window with blind outer lights to first floor. Pavilions: each of 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central tripartite windows with triangular pediment to ground floor, partly blocked and concealed by ivy in left pavilion. All windows plate glass sashes. flipped roofs with central stacks. Interior: front room, left side - a marble fireplace with draped caryatid holding lamps. Some possibly C18 plasterwork. Front room, right - marble fireplace with Corinthian columns and mask with vine leaves. Left wing, front room has much altered fireplace with possi'Dly C16 frieze of putti and shield in strapwork surround. Marble plaque above with relief of Adam and Eve expelled from Eden. C19 and C20 alterations include removal of a partition wall to enlarge the front room, left, and relocation of fireplace to make it central to the enlarged room. C18 and C19 extensions to rear. Formerly known as Newby Park, this was the first villa to be built in England in the Palladian style (H Colvin and J Harris, pp 97-105). George Hudson, the 'Railway King' bought the estate from the Earl de Grey in October 1845 and sold it to Viscount Downe in 1854. L. Boynton, 'Newby Park, the first Palladian Villa in England' in H Colvin and J Harris, (eds.), The Country Seat. Studies in the History of the British Country House, London, 1970, pp 97-105.

Listing NGR: SE3878776282

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Country Seat Studies in the History of the British Country House' in The Country Seat Studies in the History of the British Country House, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SE 38787 76282

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150028 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:05:54.

End of official listing