SURROUND TO FISH POND WITH ISLANDS APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES SOUTH OF HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150029

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: SURROUND TO FISH POND WITH ISLANDS APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES SOUTH OF HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SURROUND TO FISH POND WITH ISLANDS APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES SOUTH OF HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150029 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:03:41.

Location

Statutory Address: SURROUND TO FISH POND WITH ISLANDS APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES SOUTH OF HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Rainton with Newby

National Grid Reference: SE 38861 76010

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 37 NE RAINTON WITH NEWBY BALDERSBY PARK

3/71 Surround to fish pond with islands approximately 300 metres south of house -

- II

Surround to fish ponds, and islands. Early C18. Cobble and sandstone. Fish pond surround approximately 250 metres long and 20 metres wide, lined with coursed cobbles. Remains of 2 D-shaped islands in centre, with narrow channel between and wall faces of coursed dressed sandstone, heavily overgrown. The estate originally called Newby Park. These structures may be the canal and the foundations of a bridge built 1704-1710 by Sir William Robinson while he was preparing to build his new house (Boynton, p 97). The Estate formerly known as Newby Park. L. Boynton, 'Newby Park, The First Palladian Villa in England', pp 97-105 in H Colvin and J Harris (eds), The Country Seat, London, 1970.

Listing NGR: SE3886176010

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330447

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Country Seat Studies in the History of the British Country House' in The Country Seat Studies in the History of the British Country House, (1970), 97-105

End of official listing