This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARKET WELL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARKET WELL

List entry Number: 1150065

Location

MARKET WELL, ST JAMES'S SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Boroughbridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330332

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3966 BOROUGHBRIDGE ST JAMES'S SQUARE 5/65 (centre) 15.3.66 Market Well

II

Market Well. Given in 1875, the superstructure alone would appear to be of this date, the lower part possibly late Georgian. Flights of steps lead to the octagonal sandstone structure of Tuscan columns on pedestals supporting an entablature with metopes and triglyphs. Gabled superstructure of brick with sandstone roundels and fish-scale tiles surmounted by a round-arched wooden cupola and weathervane. Beneath this structure a stone pedestal and urn covering the well. Brass plaque inscribed 'This pump was given for public use by Mrs Lawson of Aldborough Manor AD 1875. The well is 256 ft deep.' Iron grill and bracket but pump has been removed. Coat of arms to west side of superstructure with following inscription. 'Erected 1875 by many friends in memory of the kindly virtues of Andrew Sherlock Lawson of Aldborough Manor Esq. Born 1st September 1824 died 22 May 1872.'

Listing NGR: SE3966666656

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 39666 66656

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150065 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 05:22:42.

End of official listing