GAZEBOS IN GARDENS OF NUMBERS 7 AND 8

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1150140

Date first listed: 27-May-1949

Statutory Address: GAZEBOS IN GARDENS OF NUMBERS 7 AND 8, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GAZEBOS IN GARDENS OF NUMBERS 7 AND 8
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150140 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 19:02:42.

Location

Statutory Address: GAZEBOS IN GARDENS OF NUMBERS 7 AND 8, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Ripon

National Grid Reference: SE 30945 71350

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3071 RIPON PARK STREET 1/19 (north side) 27.5.49 Gazebos in gardens of Nos 7 and 8

II*

Early C18, perhaps linked in mid C19. Red brick. Ashlar dressings. Pyramidal pantile roofs. Two 2-storey pavilions with plaster coves, ashlar bands and rusticated ashlar quoins, linked by a 2-storey gallery (which has brick over-sailing courses to rear). The ground floor of the latter is divided into 4 brick tunnel-vaulted bays reached through semi-circular arches with rusticated ashlar jambs and voussoirs. The first floor has an ashlar balustrade with balusters of square plan, and with umbrella-shaped knobs 1/3 way up; piers with some traces of ornamental carving on their fronts. Rear of gallery has 4 niches with rusticated ashlar jambs and voussoirs set against a wall which only reaches up to their impost level. Gallery reached by doors from first floor of each pavilion, that from No 8's with a 2-centred arch.

History. Although little is known about this unusual building, the property was owned by the Baynes family from 1679 until 1791. They may well have been built by 1719, when Richard Baynes' will refers to the burgage as "Cupola Close". The only detailed C18 map which shows them does not show the link, which is the most unusual feature, and it might therefore be C19. However, everything about the link (except the apparently mid C19 doorway from the second floor of No 8's pavilion onto the gallery) appears to be contemporary with the 2 pavilions. Pending further evidence, the building history remains a mystery.

Listing NGR: SE3094571350

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330193

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing