SPA BATHS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150142

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1980

Statutory Address: SPA BATHS, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPA BATHS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 09:16:34.

Location

Statutory Address: SPA BATHS, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Ripon

National Grid Reference: SE 30966 71242

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3071 RIPON PARK STREET 1/279 (south side) 11.6.80 Spa Baths II 1904-5. A relatively utilitarian structure with an exceptionally elaborate front. Red brick, with orange moulded terracotta dressings. Slate roof. One storey, with 2 storey centre piece. This fronts a pyramidally roofed foyer with an ornamental glazed tile interior, and a glazed clerestory roof: parapet, rising to central cartouche, and flanked by pilasters, outer ones with ball finials. Round-arched doorway, with segment-shaped transom, flanked by pilasters, then round-arched side-lights. Porte cochere with depressed arches between massive piers with diagonally-placed buttresses rising to complex finials. Mullion and transom windows either side, 4 bays to east, 3 to west, nearest bays with segmental pediments in parapet. Rainwater heads dated 1904, and case iron downpipes.

Exceptionally inventive moulded terracotta ornament covering the whole front, mainly Arts and Crafts in character, but in parts distinctly Art Nouveau.

The foundation stone was laid in 1904 to commemorate the tercentenary of King James I; Charter. It was opened in 1905 by Princess Henry of Battenberg, accompanied by Princess Ena (subsequently the last Queen of Spain).

Listing NGR: SE3096671242

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330198

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing