Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1150165

Date first listed: 27-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1984



Ordnance survey map of THE OLD DEANERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150165 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 19:26:36.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Ripon

National Grid Reference: SE 31476 71185


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SE 3171 RIPON MINSTER ROAD 1/2 (north side) 27.5.49 The Old Deanery GV [formerly listed as The Old Deanery Hotel (Minster Road)


Mid-C17, altered in 1799 and early or mid C19. Limestone ashlar. Hipped stone slate roof. Tall brown brick stacks. Two storeys and attics. Three-bay front, flanked by 2 gabled wings, gables with chamfered coping on cut stone kneelers. C19 mullion and transom windows, mullions and embrasures chamfered. Wings have 2-storey canted bay windows with strings and parapets. Central door with 4-centred arch and 2-light fanlight, hoodmould with lozenge-shaped label stops. Small central gabled dormer with achievement of royal arms and inscription "RDW Decanus 1799".

Rear also had projecting wings, thus making it originally an H-shaped house; but (presumably in 1799) a 3-bay range was built in the centre, slightly breaking forward. The sloping ground means that there is a semi-basement on this front, with stone steps up to a balcony on the ground floor of the 1799 range, with an ornamental cast iron balustrade. Cased sashes with glazing bars: central door with French windows and fanlight with Gothick glazing bars.

Interior. Principal feature of C17 date is an extremely fine oak staircase occupying most of the east wing: closed string, moulded tail, large vase-shaped balusters and ball finials on newels. All the ground floor ceilings have C17 moulded plaster cornices, including cornices to the joists; except for the 2 rooms in the 1799 range, and for the hall which has dentilled and modillioned cornices (presumably of 1799 date) to its joists: presumably also of 1799 is the wooden hall fireplace with its tall scrolled consoles, and possibly also the wainscotting, with 4-centred arched doors to the staircase. The ceiling of the staircase is also C17, with a moulded roundel in centre, and a frieze of stylised leaves. On the first floor the rooms in the east wing (one of which has a chimneypiece of circa 1799) are unaltered, both with simply moulded C17 plaster cornices: the centre was one large room exactly corresponding to the hall below it, and although this has been divided by later partitions the moulded plaster ceiling survives: the west wing had 3 rooms (as it does now, though the partitions have been slightly moved), all with richer moulded cornices than those in the east wing, and the south one with a moulded roundel in the centre. North room has a diagonally placed fireplace of C18 date: south room some C17 panelling to dado level.

Listing NGR: SE3146971188


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 330152

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing