This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1150194



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ripon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330124

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SE 3171 RIPON MAGDALEN'S ROAD 1/23 (east side) 27.5.49

Chapel of the Hospital of St Mary Magdalene [formerly listed as Hospital of St Mary Magdalene, Stonebridgegate (Chapel)]


Hospital founded by Archbishop Thurstan (Archbishop 1114-40), and the chapel must date from shortly after the foundation. South doorway C12. Otherwise substantially C15. Hammer-dressed limestone. Low-pitched roof with parapets; finial on east gable; bellcote on west gable. Low side window on south site. Four-light Perpendicular east window.

Interior has very good furnishings, including C15 screen, mediaeval stone altar, mediaeval tesselated pavement, and C17 communion rail with turned balusters.

History. The Hospital of St Mary Magdalene is slightly younger than that of St John, but this chapel is the only complete fragment of any of Ripon's mediaeval hospitals to survive from the time of its foundation. It had sisters and a priest, whose duties were to feed and shelter lepers, maintain blind priests born in Ripon, and give alms to the poor.

Subsequent Archbishops provided it with brothers also, and a master; and in 1295 Archbishop Romanus decided that the master had to be a resident prebendary of the College. Subsequently the mastership was held by Abbot Marmaduke Bradley, the last Abbot of Fountains, who ended his days as a prebendary of Ripon. In 1544-45 it was re-organised as an Almshouse by Archbishop Lee; and when James I re-founded the college in 1604 its mastership (together with that of St John) was annexed to the new foundation as a perpetual gift. From the late C17 the masterships of the 2 hospitals were amalgamated in the office of Dean of Ripon.

In this period, when the mastership was a sinecure, the Hospital had some notable masters, including John Vramhall (later Archbishop of Armagh) (Master 1625-34), his successor Dr John Williams (Cromwell's brother-in-law, Bishop of Chester, and co-founder of the Royal Society), and in the C18, Heneage Dering, reputed to be the richest cleric in England.

As a result of the Charity Commissioners' Report of 1820, the 2 hospitals' estates were re-organised in 1864, enabling the premises to be rebuilt.

The Valor Ecclesiasticus (1535) reveals that the master (Marmaduke Bradley) had a "mansion house", garden and orchard. The Charity Commissioners in 1820 describe apartments for 6 sisters and a chapel across the street. There is no mention of the hospital buildings in either case, but it is known that there had been a separate leper house, demolished shortly before 1352 for lack of patients.

Listing NGR: SE3172871780

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 31726 71779


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150194 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:15:48.

End of official listing