CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1150284

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150284 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 07:02:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Great Ouseburn

National Grid Reference: SE 44912 61782

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT OUSEBURN MAIN STREET SE 4461-4561 (north-east side) 9/15 Church of St.Mary 15/3/66 GV II* Church. Norman tower with C13 belfry; C14 arcades, with vestry and aisles rebuilt 1820; C15 chancel and south chapel of 1883. Ashlar stone with sandstone and red brick vestry; stone slate roofs. West tower; 3-bay aisled nave; chancel, north vestry and south chapel. 3-stage tower on chamfered plinth. Inserted lancet in first stage, west face, and slit lights to south on first and second stages: second-stage light has reset corbelhead above. Clock face to west in second stage. Bell openings on all faces are paired round-headed chamfered lights with squared centre shafts, closed by pierced shutters. Chamfered belfry string course; embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles above waterspouts to east, west and south. Pyramidal roof. South aisle west end contains pointed double-chamfered doorway, with board double doors, beneath hoodmould. North and south aisle walls each contain three pointed 2-light windows with Y-tracery, beneath hoodmoulds. South chapel has chamfered plinth and offset west buttress. Moulded pointed priest's door- way and reset square-headed window of three cusped lancets to east. C19 Perpendicular window in chapel east end. Square-headed 2-light window in chancel south wall, and similar in north wall, partly obscured by lean-to vestry. Perpendicular east window in double-chamfered pointed opening. Interior. Round, double-chamfered tower arch on rectangular responds with plain imposts, coved on lower side. Arcades of tall, pointed, double- chamfered arches on slender cylindrical columns with moulded octagonal caps. Slightly stilted, two-centred, double-chamfered chancel arch on half-octagonal responds. Monuments: two wall monuments by Fisher of York on chancel north wall: a draped urn on a pedestal to Elizabeth Young, d.1779; and a panel in carved surround surmounted by a slender urn, to Sarah Horsfield, d.1780.

Listing NGR: SE4491261782

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331830

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing