KIRBY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150293

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1988

Statutory Address: KIRBY HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of KIRBY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150293 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 05:33:28.

Location

Statutory Address: KIRBY HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Kirby Hall

National Grid Reference: SE 45787 60947

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRBY HALL KIRBY HALL ESTATE SE 4460-4560 10/32 Kirby Hall GV II Service wing of country house, now house. c.1755, altered c.1920 when original house demolished. By Lord Burlington and Roger Morris for Stephen Thompson. John Carr was Clerk of Works. Limestone ashlar on plinth, left return rendered; sandstone doorcase; slate roof. 2-storey-and-attic, 2-window front with 1-storey, 4-bay range set back at right. Entrance in left return. All windows are sashes with stone sills, those on ground and attic floors 6-pane and on first floor 12-pane. Plain flush lintels to all windows. Raised first floor and attic bands, and moulded eaves cornice. Four stacks with heavily corbelled cornices on hipped roof: two on ridge, and one on each side of roof hip. Left return: door and doorcase from original house inserted to form new entrance. Doorcase has moulded surround beneath scrolled-console cornice hood and contains half-glazed door. Rear: repeats front, with 9-pane sashes on ground floor. 1-storey range has two board doors to left, and half-glazed door and small sash window at right. Moulded eaves cornice beneath plain parapet. The house, originally comprising a wing of the Hall, is the only surviving part of the important country house illus- trated in Vitruvius Brittanicus, Vol.V, plates 70 and 71. See also: H.Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, 1660-1840; Country Life,17 February, 1972; York Georgian Society Annual Report for 1985; York Georgian Society, The Works in Architecture of John Carr.

Listing NGR: SE4578760947

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331847

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Works in Architecture of John Carr, (1973)
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
'Country Life' in 17 February, (1972)
'Vitruvius Britannicus' in Vitruvius Britannicus, , Vol. 5, (), Pl. 70-71
'York Georgian Society Annual Report' in York Georgian Society Annual Report, (1985)

End of official listing