CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1150343

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, WATH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150343 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 21:10:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, WATH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Copgrove

National Grid Reference: SE 34639 63243

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 36 SW COPGROVE WATH LANE (north side)

3/13 Church of St Michael

15.3.66

- II*

Church. C12 and C18, restored 1889 for the Rev Henry Kinnear and 1896-97 - for the Bridgemans of Copgrove Hall (qv). Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, graduated stone slate roof. Quoins; deep ashlar plinth to nave. 3-bay nave with west bellcote and a timber-framed porch to bay 1; 2-bay chancel with vestry on north. Board door to nave; nave north and south windows are pointed, of 2 lights and have Perpendicular style tracery, 1896. Narrow C12 round-arched window to chancel, right, 2-light Decorated window with hoodmould to left. Square-headed east window of 3 cusped lights. Ashlar gable copings; bellcote with one bell in an open segmental arch surmounted by a moulded pediment. A stone forming a quoin of the vestry was originally in the north chancel wall. It is carved with a T-shape (?Thor's hammer) and a figure with sword and shield, possibly pre- Christian. Interior: the rebates to the east window are plastered and retain red painted lines in imitation of ashlar, and painted scrolls. Norman chancel arch with imposts carved with chevron and dogtooth motifs, the left restored. C17 and C18 box-pews reused to line nave walls; the medieval altar stone rediscovered at the late C19 restoration; a brass inscription near the south door is dated 1637. Board painted with the Royal Arms of Queen Anne over those of Charles II. Many fine late C18-C19 wall memorials to the Duncombe family of Copgrove Hall. The church belonged to the Knights Hospitallers in the C13, and from 1535 to c1634 the living belonged to the Wyse family. The church is thought to have had a tower and short steeple, removed in the late C17 when the bellcote was added. In the C18 the nave windows were round-headed, they were rebuilt in Gothic style in 1896-97. At the same time the roof was renewed, the eaves being raised considerably; the pulpit, choir stalls and pews were altered at that time, and the floor lowered. The vestry and porch were also added.

Listing NGR: SE3463963243

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331770

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing