This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1150353

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Rufforth with Knapton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 331691

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH YORKSHIRE HARROGATE 5338 SE 55 SW RUFFORTH MAIN STREET (north-east side)

5/49 Church of All Saints

GV II

Church. 1894-5, by J Demaine and W Brierley incorporating elements of earlier church on same site. Ashlar with slate and leaded roofs. 4-bay nave with south porch and aisle, south tower and single-bay chancel, in Victorian Gothic style. West front: 3-light traceried pointed window flanked by buttresses. To right: return wall of south porch, blind except for one square-headed window. Nave south front: round-arched doorway to porch with foliate decoration to arch and elaborate empty statue niche above. 2- and 3-light square-headed windows in Perpendicular style to aisle. Nave north side: 2-light pointed traceried windows except for single-light, square-headed window to east bay. Tower: massive plain tower with staircase turret to west. South facade: original C12 round-arched doorway with 3-light, square-headed window to right and small staircase window above to left. Clock beneath ogee hood interrupts 2-light belfry opening which is repeated to each face. Cornice band extending around tower reads "To the glory of God and in pious memory of George Middlewood of Rufforth Anno Domini 1894. Lord have loved the habitation of They House, and the place where They Honour dwelleth". Squat recessed spire. Chancel: to south a 2-light traceried pointed window; to north a 3- light round-arched traceried window. East front: 5-light traceried pointed window flanked by buttresses. Interior: north aisle has original Y-tracery window incorporated in west wall and 3-light Perpendicular window incorporated in east wall.

Listing NGR: SE5276751491

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 52767 51491

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150353 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:52:58.

End of official listing