This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1150362



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bilton-in-Ainsty with Bickerton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 331709

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/8 Old School House

- II

School, now private house. Early C19. For Hall Plumer. Red-brown brick, Flemish bond, graduated grey slate roof. 2 storeys, 6 bays, the pedimented central 2 bays project. Central 6-panel door with overlight. Blocked doorway now a window far right. 12-pane sashes flank the door, the remainder are smaller and of 16 panes and all have segmental stretcher arches and stone sills. Modillioned eaves cornice and pediment. A stone plaque between the central first-floor windows has no inscription; a blind oculus in the pediment has an inscription (restored): "Ex dono / H. PLUMER Armi(ger) / Anno Domini / 1801". End brick stacks. A late C19 single- storey schoolroom with stone-mullioned windows projects to right. Left return (to road): a round-arched recess with keystone, right, has a blocked doorway; 2 round-arched windows with stone sills and C20 small-paned sashes to first floor; blocked oculus to gable. Rear range not of special interest. The school was endowed by Hall Plumer of Bilton Hall (qv) and served Bilton, Bickerton and Tockwith. It was closed in 1928 and was used as a village hall until 1973 when the chuch sold it and it was converted into a private house. W V Crapp, Some historical notes on the Parish and Parish Church of St Helen's, Bilton in Ainsty with Bickerton, 1973, p6.

Listing NGR: SE4712550730

Selected Sources

Crapp, WV , Some Historical Notes on the Parish and Parish Church of St Helens Bilton in Ainsty with Bickerton, 1973,

National Grid Reference: SE 47125 50730


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150362 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:46:23.

End of official listing