CHURCH OF ST PAUL AND ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150426

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL AND ST MARGARET, TOWN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL AND ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150426 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 22:28:22.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL AND ST MARGARET, TOWN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Nidd

National Grid Reference: SE 30128 60811

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

. NIDD TOWN STREET SE 36 SW (east side, off)

2/54 Church of St Paul and St Margaret 15.3.66

GV II

Church. 1866 by Healey for Miss Rawson of Nidd Hall. Gritstone, graduated grey slate roof. 4-bay nave with west tower of 3 stages, north aisle and south porch; 2-bay chancel. Gothic arch to gabled porch; roll moulding and hoodmould possibly C13. Nave windows of 3 cusped lights, chancel of 1 and 2 lights. Large buttresses; gable copings, cross finials. 3-light east window with 2 quatrefoil and I trefoil opening under a hoodmould. The north aisle has three 2-light and one 3-light window; the vestry has a plain 4-light window. The west tower has angle buttresses up to bell stage, gableted to top of first stage, paired lancets to west, narrow lancets on each side to second stage and elaborate 2-light belfry openings with central shaft in large pointed arch with attached shafts, hoodmould and pierced quatrefoil and inner cusping to tympanum. Embattled parapets and crocketed finials. Interior. The porch is lined in limestone ashlar and the inner board door has 3-pronged hinges. 3 quatrefoil columns to the north aisle of the nave which is floored, together with the chancel, with polychrome tiles. The font in the base of the tower is circular with a deep rim band as is from the earlier church as are several pieces of carved stone. The walls of the church are very plain, unplastered; memorials are to the Rawson and Butler (Mountgarret) families. The stained glass window in bay 2 of the north aisle depicts the nativity with shepherds and is a memorial to Henry Edmund the 13th Viscount Mountgarret of Nidd Hall (qv), who died in 1900. It is probably the workmanship of Charles Kempe, as is the window in bay 4 which is a memorial to Elizabeth Rawson (d1900) and depicts the Madonna and child flanked by Simeon and Psalmist.

Listing NGR: SE3012860811

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331558

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing