CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1150440

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150440 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 17:55:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Weston

National Grid Reference: SE 17743 46624

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTON WESTON PARK SE 14 NE 10/101 Church of All Saints 22.11.66 GV I

Church. Norman origin, addition dated 1686, with early C19 vestry and repairs to nave and chancel. Coursed gritstone rubble and squared blocks, with ashlar details and graduated stone slate roof. Nave of 3 bays with bellcote, a south porch bay 1 and north aisle; chancel of 3 bays with family pew built against north side of bay 1. Nave: gabled single-storey porch, 8-panelled door in eared architrave with keystone inscribed '1686' and cornice; gable coping and finial base. Round-arched inner entrance with paired 3-panel doors. Stepped buttress projects, left. Windows to right of porch: narrow C12 lancet, 3-light Perpendicular window and 2-light chamfered mullion window with round-headed lights, Chancel, south side, (set back from line of nave): bay 1 - a 6-panel door of 2 leaves under a pointed arch with hoodmould and plaque above inscribed: "THIS CHURCH / was repaired and amended / AD 1819 / The Nave was done / at the expense of the Parish / The Chancel / by William Vavasour Esqr / Revd John Carter MA Vicar / John Lenty, John Mountain, Churchwardens". To left - 2 windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights. Chancel east window : 3-light geometric tracery; chancel north wall: chambered window with 2 trefoil-headed lights; similar 3-light window to family pew; nave north side: chamfered window of 4 round-headed lights. Nave west end: chamfered window with 3 round-headed lights; to left a plain square casement lights vestry. A massive stepped buttress between the nave and north aisle. 3 carved stones built into the chancel north wall are the remains of an Anglo-Saxon cross. Square double-arched bellcote to ridge. Interior: round early C19 chancel arch on C12 jambs and double-chamfered arch to family pew; double-chamfered pointed arches to arcade of north aisle, the left arch blocked when the vestry was built into the west end of the north aisle all except chancel arch on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. The capitals, to the pier arches have raised motifs including the Tau cross. Tomb of Sir William Stopham (d 1317) in the north wall of the family pew: a ridged tomb with a cross-hilted sword; tomb of William Vavasour (d 1587) under an ogee-arched recess in the chancel north wall. Other memorials and hatchments to the Vavasour and Dawson families are in the family pew and a fine stone plaque to William Vavasour (d 1820) is on the chancel south wall. The nave contains a fine C18 3-decker pulpit with sounding board against the south wall, box-pews, and a font with octagonal stem and small bowl, the cover having a ball finial. The chancel is underceiled with a moulded cornice, the nave has plain roof trusses. A painting at Weston Hall dated 1789 shows the chancel roof lower that that-of the nave. The alteration was probably made in the 1819 rebuilding, when the chancel roof was probably raised. Country Life, Nov 13, 1958, p 1116.

Listing NGR: SE1774546624

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331496

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 13 November, (1958), 1116

End of official listing