HIGH APPRENTICE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150457

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: HIGH APPRENTICE HOUSE, HARDISTY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGH APPRENTICE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:45:52.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGH APPRENTICE HOUSE, HARDISTY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Fewston

National Grid Reference: SE 16900 56052

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FEWSTON HARDISTY HILL SE 15 NE (west side) Blubberhouses 2/39 High Apprentice House - II

House. c1800 altered probably mid C19. Coursed squared gritstone laid to watershot courses, graduated stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays with 2-storey, 2-bay additions to left and arched gateway far left. Doors with tie-stone jambs to bays 1 and 2; bay 1 doorhead raised and a round arch inserted, bay 2 former paired doors, that to right blocked. Windows: ground and first floors: 4-pane sashes in sawn-stone surrounds, inserted round arched heads to ground floor only. 16-pane sashes to second floor. Possible blocked loading door first floor, left. Shaped gutter brackets and kneelers; gable copings. End stacks and between bays 1 and 2. Added bays to left (of 2 builds): rectangular 2-pane window to left, 16-pane fixed window to right. Central ridge stack. Rear: the facade, including the outbuildings, is rendered and lined to resemble ashlar. The main block has a central door with tie-stone jambs, flanking 2-light flat-faced mullion windows to ground and first floors and single lights first-floor centre and second floor. Similar fenestration to lower block, right. A second round arch to right. Interior: no access between bays 1 and 2 at ground floor: remainder of house has common access but the rear range of rooms, with central staircase, has mid-late C19 fireplace, superior plasterwork and 6- panel doors. Left (lower) bay has a large fireplace, the lintel carried on cyma-moulded stone brackets, and a cast-iron range. The house was one of 2 apprentice houses built by Colbeck Ellis and Co, who constructed the West House Flour Mill between 1797 and 1803. It housed children brought from workhouses in London who were apprenticed to the mill owners. The High Apprentice House was probably closed in 1843 when the mill became bankrupt and the building adapted for cottages, but it has remained in the ownership of Leeds Corporation and is one property at the time of resurvey. Listed partly for historical reasons. G Shutt, "Wharfedale Water Works", M Phil Univ Leeds, 1979; H E Bogg, Higher Wharfeland, 1904, pp 45-49.

Listing NGR: SE1690056052

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331431

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bogg, E, Higher Wharfedale, (1904), 45-49
Shutt, G, Wharfedale Water Works, (1979)

End of official listing