This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHRIST CHURCH WITH WALL, RAILINGS AND GATES WITH OVERTHROW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH WITH WALL, RAILINGS AND GATES WITH OVERTHROW

List entry Number: 1150514

Location

CHRIST CHURCH WITH WALL, RAILINGS AND GATES WITH OVERTHROW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dishforth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 331258

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 37 SE DISHFORTH MAIN STREET (east side)

1/19 Christ Church with wall, railings and gates with overthrow

GV II

Church and attached railings with gates and overthrow. 1791, restored and extended c1880 by G Mallinson of Ripon. Coursed squared sandstone, stone slate roof, grey slates to apse. West porch, 3-bay nave with north aisle and polygonal apse. West end: C19 porch with pointed-arched doorway and two C19 cusped oculi above, gable bellcote or finial base. South elevation: two C18 Y-tracery windows, added organ chamber on right, coped gables with shaped kneelers, and finials at west end; reused Y-tracery window to north aisle. Interior: 3-bay arcade with foliate capitals, wide and low chancel arch, all in 1880's Decorated style. Elaborate C19 pulpit stands close to the organ at the south-east corner. Font at west end of north aisle probably late C18 with shallow bowl on squat quatrefoil column. Railings to west and south: low wall with pointed coping carries wrought-iron railing of plain bars with beaded finials. West side: on left a single-leaf gate; to centre a 2-leaf gate with bars, dogbars, curved braces to lower half, and round-arched overthrow with scroll decoration and lantern bracket. An illustration in the church shows it before and after restoration. The original plan was a rectangular body with east gallery and west porch.

Listing NGR: SE3823773093

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 38237 73093

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 06:34:27.

End of official listing