SWARCLIFFE HALL NOW GROSVENOR HOUSE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150558

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: SWARCLIFFE HALL NOW GROSVENOR HOUSE SCHOOL, LACKON BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWARCLIFFE HALL NOW GROSVENOR HOUSE SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150558 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 05:35:56.

Location

Statutory Address: SWARCLIFFE HALL NOW GROSVENOR HOUSE SCHOOL, LACKON BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Birstwith

National Grid Reference: SE 23546 59407

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRSTWITH LACKON BANK SE 25 NW (west side, off)

14/26 Swarcliffe Hall, now Grosvenor House School

GV II

Country house (Swarcliffe Hall) now school. 1848-50 by Major Rhode Hawkins for John Greenwood of Knowle near Keighley, enlarged 1866-67. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar, graduated grey slate roofs. Original square house of 2 storeys and 3 bays, facing east, with larger additional wing attached to north with, to rear, a 4-storey tower which in turn has a lower 2-storey service wing attached to north. In a Jacobethan style: Tudor arch and hoodmould to main door in original range, bay 2, flanked by projecting gabled wings with oriel and mullion-and-transom windows with hoodmoulds; continuous dripmoulds, gable copings, ball finials and tall chimneys with 1, 2 and 3 flues. Addition, projecting forward on right, in same style. Rear, west courtyard: date 1850 carved above entrance to original range. Right return: tower with corner pinnacles and a turret. Interior: original reception rooms remain: rear hall with elaborately carved wooden fire surround in Jacobean style, and panelled plaster ceiling; staircase rising from hall has square-section balusters linked by arches; south-east living room has marble fireplaces and patterned tiles. J G Greenwood was a cotton spinner at Keighley and, having bought the Wreaks Mill, Birstwith, in 1805 became a major landowner in the area. B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale, 1967, p 227.

Listing NGR: SE2354659407

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331154

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 227

End of official listing