This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARN AND ATTACHED HAY BARN APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH EAST OF PYEFIELD HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN AND ATTACHED HAY BARN APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH EAST OF PYEFIELD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1150566

Location

BARN AND ATTACHED HAY BARN APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES NORTH EAST OF PYEFIELD HOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dacre

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 331175

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DACRE MAIN STREET SE 16 SE (east side, off)

8/46 Barn and attached hay barn approximately 5 metres north-east of Pyefield House

GV II

Barn and attached hay barn. Barn dated 1828, hay barn possibly earlier. For William Skaife. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. Barn of 3 bays, with l-bay extension to east, hay barn of 3 bays and built parallel to and behind the barn. Barn, south side (to yard): central double doors with splayed voussoirs; keystone with inscription, 'WS 1828'. Flanking byre doors: to left with tie-stone jambs, to right with quoined jambs. Shaped. kneelers and gable coping. Additional bay to right: cart entrance with splayed voussoirs, small-paned side-sliding sash window above. Range projecting at right angles not of special interest. Rear: outshut behind bays 1 and 2, doorway opposite cart entrance. Hay barn: south east corner is built into the rear outshut of the barn. Solid end walls, the east wall pierced by a later or enlarged cart entrance. 2 pairs of rubble- built tapering pillars between end walls. Shaped kneelers, gable coping. Interior: barn has 4 queen-post trusses, hay barn, 2 queen-post trusses. The hay barn of Dutch barn type but with a fixed roof was being adopted by farmers in the early C19 throughout the country. Few have survived from this date. N Harvey, A History of Farm Buildings in England and Wales, 1970, p 106.

Listing NGR: SE1996360338

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harvey, N, A History of Farm Buildings in England and Wales, (1970), 106

National Grid Reference: SE 19963 60338

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:45:23.

End of official listing