CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT AND ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150588

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT AND ST OSWALD, WINKSLEY BANKS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT AND ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150588 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:54:22.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT AND ST OSWALD, WINKSLEY BANKS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Winksley

National Grid Reference: SE 25239 71254

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 27 SE WINKSLEY WINKSLEY BANKS ROAD (west side) 5/122 Church of St Cuthbert and St Oswald

- II

Church of St Cuthbert and St Oswald. 1917 by Connon and Chorley for Jane, Baroness Furness, in memory of her husband Christopher, the first Baron Furness who died at Grantley Hall in 1912. Gritstone, stone slate roof. 3-bay nave with narrow north and south aisles incorporated into it. Large west tower of 3 stages with porch and stair turret against the south side, and another porch against the north side. 2-bay chancel with vestry to south and organ bay to north. Perpendicular style. Double board south door with wide strap hinges under deeply-chamfered arch; curvilinear tracery to belfry windows; elaborate Perpendicular tracery to 3-light nave windows with shallow arches; 5-light east window. Wide buttresses, irregular indented parapets to tower, nave and chancel, projecting bands at floor levels and over belfry windows to tower. Interior: the aisles form low tunnels beneath buttress walls linking the piers with the outer walls. Marble corner columns support wooden vaulted ceiling at west end, beneath tower. Nave and chancel roofs of large timbers. Wide double-chamfered chancel arch. Font, pulpit and low screen white veined marble. Finely carved pew-ends with varied traceried panels. The walls of the west end carry memorials to the Furness family of Grantley Hall. The earlier church stood on the north west, in the graveyard. It had been built or restored c1500 by Marmaduke Huby, Abbot of Fountains Abbey and again in the C18. Stone front the c1500 church is incorporated into the west wall of the present tower, including 2 inscriptions in Latin, the 3-light west window and a niche with crocketed canopy. The system of roofing the aisles was probably copied from Fountains Abbey church. W J St John Hope, Fountain Abbey, Yorkshire, 1900, p21. The architects Connon and Chorley also built St Aidan's Church, Hellifield, North Riding. N Pevsner, Yorkshire, West Riding 1967, p 554.

Listing NGR: SE2523971254

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331127

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hope, WH, Fountains Abbey Yorkshire, (1900), 21
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 554

End of official listing