BEWERLEY GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1150592

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: BEWERLEY GRANGE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEWERLEY GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150592 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 22:22:33.

Location

Statutory Address: BEWERLEY GRANGE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Bewerley

National Grid Reference: SE1578064737

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 16 SE 8/8

BEWERLEY MAIN STREET (east side), Bewerley Grange

6.3.67

II*

Schoolhouse and chapel range, now private house and chapel. Early C16 by and for monks of Fountains Abbey with extension and alteration 1679 by Samuel and Henry Taylor for Lady Yorke and restoration early-mid C19. Ashlar and coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. A long south-facing range composed of single-storey, 2-bay chapel with porch at east (right) end and 3-bay single-storey house with attic storey on left. Chapel: plinth. Probably C19 porch reusing C16 stone for plinth and gable coping; inner door C20 in new opening with sawn-stone lintel. The porch overlies a 2-light recessed cavetto-moulded mullion window with 4-centred arched heads to lights and hoodmould. 3-light window to right, two windows of 2 lights on north side and a 3-light east window, all similar in style. Coping and rebuilt bellcote to right gable. Relief carvings: south side - initials M H (Marmaduke Huby) between windows; east side - 'SOLI DEO HONOR ET GLORIA' above east window (motto of Marmaduke Huby). House: on right a C20 glazed door in deeply chamfered surround with shallow 4-centred arch and hoodmould. To left: two 5-light recessed-chamfered mullion windows with continuous hoodmould. Bulbous kneeler and gable coping to left; end stacks. Rear: the house slightly deeper than the chapel, with doorway on left, two 2-light recessed-chamfered mullion windows centre and taller 3- light mullioned window right. Left return: three C19 mullion windows: one a cross window and two of 2 lights. Interior not inspected at resurvey. The chapel belonged to a grange of Fountains Abbey of which Marmaduke Huby was Abbot 1494-1526. In 1679 it was converted to a school and schoolhouse and continued to be so used, with services on Sundays, into the C19. By 1894 the chapel was a gardeners store. The chapel was formerly a Scheduled Ancient Monument. W Grainge, Nidderdale (1893) p 54; B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale (1967) p 103; H Speight, Nidderdale (1894) p 452.

Listing NGR: SE1578064737

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331136

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Grainage, W , Nidderdale, (1893)
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 103
Speight, H, Nidderdale, (1894), 452

End of official listing