GRASSFIELD HOUSE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150595

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: GRASSFIELD HOUSE HOTEL, RAMSGILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRASSFIELD HOUSE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150595 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 08:10:17.

Location

Statutory Address: GRASSFIELD HOUSE HOTEL, RAMSGILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Bewerley

National Grid Reference: SE 15218 65828

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEWERLEY RAMSGILL ROAD SE 16 NE (west side)

3/16 Grassfield House Hotel

- II

House, now hotel. 1810. For Hanley Hutchinson. Ashlar, grey slate roof. 2-storey, 5-bay main block, the central 3 bays pedimented and breaking forward; 3 bays deep. Attached range to left adjoins rear of building, of 2 storeys and 2 bays with later 2-storey, l-bay addition to left. Wall attached to rear right continues to right, ramps down to gate piers and continues for approximately 10 metres. Main block: central glazed double door with fanlight in moulded architrave with imposts; flanking Doric columns support entablature, cornice and blocking course. Flanking windows, ground floor: 4-pane sashes with projecting sills and incised lintels. First floor: sashes with glazing bars, sill band to central 3 bays, lintels as ground floor. Rectangular recesses between ground and first-floor windows. Moulded eaves and pediment cornice. Hipped roof with paired stacks to bays 2 and 4. Attached range to left: two 16-pane sashes to ground floor, sashes with glazing bars above. Architectural details as main facade. Left bay not of special interest. Wall attached to right: 2 blind windows with rectangular panels above; moulded cornice and blocking course. To right: ramped wall of coursed squared rubble with flat coping; lean-to garden house attached to north side with 3 blocked round arched windows with keystones, gable coping and bulbous kneelers. Gate piers approximately 3 metres high: plinths, cornices and pyramidal finials. Wall continues for approximately 10 metres to right, ramped down once. Hanley Hutchinson was a leading figure in the Greenhow lead mining industry in the area. He leased the Cockhill-Sunside lead mines from the Yorke family and was a member of the provisional committee of the Yorkshire and Lancashire railway in the 1840's. He owned the Brigg House Rolling Mill where sheet lead and lead pipes were manufactured. W Grainge, Nidderdale, (1863), p 65. B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale (1967), pp 201, 295, 341.

Listing NGR: SE1521865828

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331144

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Grainage, W , Nidderdale, (1863), 65
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 201
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 295
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 341

End of official listing