STATUE AND PEDESTAL ON WEST SIDE OF THE CANAL, NORTH END (THE WRESTLERS ON WEST SIDE OF CANAL)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1150609
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
STATUE AND PEDESTAL ON WEST SIDE OF THE CANAL, NORTH END (THE WRESTLERS ON WEST SIDE OF CANAL)

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATUE AND PEDESTAL ON WEST SIDE OF THE CANAL, NORTH END (THE WRESTLERS ON WEST SIDE OF CANAL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150609 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:45:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
STATUE AND PEDESTAL ON WEST SIDE OF THE CANAL, NORTH END (THE WRESTLERS ON WEST SIDE OF CANAL)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Harrogate (District Authority)
Parish:
Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains
National Grid Reference:
SE 27971 68937

Details

SE 2768 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS Statue and pedestal on west side of The Canal, 9/71 north end (formerly listed as Statue (the Wrestlers 6.3.67 on W side of Canal))

GV II

Statue of 2 men wrestling. c1730. For John Aislabie. Lead statue, ashlar pedestal. Moulded plinth and cornice to pedestal; very fine Greek-style figures, particularly the detail of face and hair. The statue was the third on this site in John Aislabie's garden layout, which included many statues. The original is in Florence. W T C Walker, personal communication. L Weaver, English Leadwork its Art and History, 1909.

Listing NGR: SE2797168937

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
331075
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Weaver, L , English Leadwork its Art and History, (1909)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15659/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].