RUSTIC BRIDGE AT SOUTH END OF THE CANAL, WITH CULVERT AND ARCH TO RESERVOIR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1150615
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
RUSTIC BRIDGE AT SOUTH END OF THE CANAL, WITH CULVERT AND ARCH TO RESERVOIR

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUSTIC BRIDGE AT SOUTH END OF THE CANAL, WITH CULVERT AND ARCH TO RESERVOIR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150615 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:33:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
RUSTIC BRIDGE AT SOUTH END OF THE CANAL, WITH CULVERT AND ARCH TO RESERVOIR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Harrogate (District Authority)
Parish:
Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains
National Grid Reference:
SE 28026 68569

Details

SE 2868 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS

9/82 Rustic Bridge at south end of The Canal, with culvert and arch to 6.3.67 Reservoir (formerly listed as Rustic Bridge)

GV II

Culvert between the Reservoir and the Canal, with north portal known as the Rustic Bridge. Probably 1729-30 by Robert Doe for John Aislabie. Rough dressed limestone rubble with tufa and ashlar. Rustic bridge: shallow segmental arch flanked by smaller arched recesses and end piers of frosted rustication. Tufa blocks form voussoirs to arch and recesses, and parapet. The culvert: approximately 15 metres long, dog-legged and with segmental arch at south end. This facade defined the southern limit of John Aislabies original formal garden, as the ground rises to Tent Hill behind and there was no access to Fountains Abbey (qv) until 1768. (Walker). The style is similar to the Octagon Tower Tunnel, Mr Aislabie's Kitchen and the Grotto (qv). A scheduled Ancient Monument. W T C Walker, personal communication.

Listing NGR: SE2802668569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
331086
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 32 North Yorkshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15659/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].