CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150631

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, B1257

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 22:59:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, B1257

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Bilsdale Midcable

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 57358 94582

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BILSDALE MIDCABLE B 1257 East side SE 59 SE Church of St. John 18/4 23/6/66 the Evangelist II Parish church. 1896-8 by Temple Moore. Pecked coursed sandstone with dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone ridge and copings, stone spire. West tower, continuous nave and chancel, north aisle. Decorated style. Square tower of 3 stages with stepped diagonal buttresses, stepped and moulded plinth, Y-tracery west window with clock above. Small openings north and south, Y-traceried bell openings above. Short octagonal broach spire with lucarnes and vane. Stepped buttress bay divisions. North aisle under catslide roof. Cusped reticulated tracery to east window. Twin bootscrapers flank 4 steps to door. Interior plastered with stone dressings. Moulded and chamfered arches of 4-bay aisle dying into diagonal chamfered piers. East bay and eastward extension panelled off as vestry. Tall, pointed tower arch. Ribbed barreled nave roof and coffered tower roof. Good, apparently original woodwork including benches, pulpit, choir seating and desks. Chequered stone paving in slightly-raised chancel and sanctuary, and moulded piscina in south wall. Carved vestry door with monogram under long Caernarvon arch.

Listing NGR: SE5735894582

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333062

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing