CHURCH OF ST AGATHA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150665

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AGATHA, EASBY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AGATHA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150665 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 03:54:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AGATHA, EASBY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Easby

National Grid Reference: NZ 57782 08686

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASBY EASBY NZ 50 NE (north side) 7/3 Church of St Agatha 23.6.66 - II Church, built as private chapel, incorporating mausoleum. 1881 by J Fowler for the Emerson family. Snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; tiled roofs; timber tower top with iron crest. Early English style; small scale. West tower; continuous nave and chancel with dividing buttress; octagonal mausoleum at east end; north vestry. Multi-moulded pointed-arched west doorway in tower, under hoodmould with carved stops. Timber bell stage above, and shingled broach spire with iron crown and vane. Lancet windows, tinder hood- moulds, to nave and chancel. Narrow linking bays from chancel to mausoleum hold north door and south memorial cross to Anne Amerson, d.1880, in a cusped gabled niche. Mausoleum has pointed blank arcading with foliate capitals; and pointed roof. Interior: 2-bay nave and raised l-bay chancel. Braced collar-beam roof with ashlaring at eaves. Internal stair to small west gallery. Arcaded stone reredos and carved stone pulpit. Good stained glass: figures of saints, prophets, apostles and angels by Powell Bros of Leeds. Mausoleum not accessible at time of survey but said to have shelves for coffins inside. Pevsner: Yorkshire, the North Riding

Listing NGR: NZ5778208686

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332928

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966)

End of official listing