CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150675

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 13:51:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Faceby

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: NZ 49553 03024

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FACEBY FACEBY NZ 40 SE (west side, off) 9/29 Church of St Mary Magdalene 23.6.66 GV II Parish church. 1874-5 by Falkenbridge, on medieval site; chancel extended 1911 by Temple Moore. Coursed, tooled squared sandstone, the older part on rock- faced plinth with sloped top, the east end on an undercroft. Nave roof purple slate with tile ridge, stone copings, bellcote and finial; chancel roof clay tiles above 4 courses of flagstones at eaves. Nave, chancel, south porch and north vestry. Lancet style. 3-bay nave; chancel 2 and 2 bays. Gabled porch has sloped angle buttresses; moulded 2-centred arch to boarded door with long hinges. Trefoils in side walls. Sloped buttress bay divisions in nave, divid- ing the 2 periods of chancel and at east end. Single lancets except for 3 staffed lancets in west and east ends, the latter cusped. West end also has single lancet in gable peak under corbelling-out of bellcote. Undercroft has small studded east door, with good iron handle and hinges, under shouldered lintel; flanking small windows and vent slits below, all chamfered. Vents also below main windows, at sides under eaves and in gable peak under wheel cross finial. In north chancel wall a 2-light square-headed Perpendicular window with cusped lights. Vestry has lancets at different levels and a basement door like that of undercroft; also a battlemented gabled chimney. Interior: doorway from porch (recent, but inside it is a nearly-complete reset C12 arch with roll, hollow and chevron mouldings in frame of St Andrew's crosses). Bare stone walls. Straight-braced collar-beam nave roof with cusping to spandrels; ribbed barrelled roof in both parts of chancel. 2-bay transitional-style arcade to vestry. Some medieval masonry in south wall and a little re-used in north wall. Chancel arch wide and pointed with a few C12 chevron-moulded voussoirs inserted. Font formed from medieval column with spurred base. Chancel and south nave glass by Kempe. Good woodwork throughout: pews, choir benches, clergy seats, choir screen and pulpit.

Listing NGR: NZ4955303024

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332953

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing