240, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1150717
Date first listed:
15-Apr-1986
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Nov-1988
Statutory Address:
240, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 240, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150717 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:23:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
240, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Northallerton
National Grid Reference:
SE 36746 94167

Details

SE 3694-3794 6/60

NORTHALLERTON, HIGH STREET (west side), No. 240

(Formerly listed as Nos 240 and 241.

Previously listed as No 241 (The Old Grammar School)

15.4.86

GV II

Grammar school, now offices. 1776, altered and extended 1844. Brick in Flemish bond, pantile roof. L-shaped plan, 2 storeys, 3 bays to High Street. Ground floor: 4-pane sash windows below lintel and segmental relieving arch in panel, recessed within painted, round arch with impost band. First floor: 8-pane sash windows. Dentil cornice. Hipped roof. End eaves stacks. To left, recessed single-storey screen wall with C20 part-glazed door, not of special interest. Right return: impost band and cornice return, 1 matching ground-floor window, 1 blind first-floor window. Further right, probably an added house, of slightly lower storeys: 6-panel door and 16-pane sash window on ground floor, round-arched staircase sash window with glazing bars, radial at the top, and 16-pane sash window on first floor; dentil cornice, stack at right end. The medieval grammar school stood in the churchyard and was replaced by this building, then also on church land. Rev J L Saywell, The History and Annals of Northallerton (1885), pp 31, 131, 176 and iv.

Listing NGR: SE3674294159

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332854
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saywell, Reverend J L , The History and Annals of Northallerton, (1885), 31, 131
Saywell, Reverend J L , The History and Annals of Northallerton, (1885), 176

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00914/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Snowdon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].