REGISTER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150719

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1969

Statutory Address: REGISTER HOUSE, ZETLAND STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of REGISTER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150719 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 18:17:04.

Location

Statutory Address: REGISTER HOUSE, ZETLAND STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Northallerton

National Grid Reference: SE 36970 93859

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTHALLERTON ZETLAND STREET SE 3693-3793 (north side) 7/64 Register House 9.12.69 GV II Registry and court house, now offices. 1736, with later alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 x 3 bays with contemporary rear service wing. Original front, facing west towards the High Street: on ground floor, central doorway, now partly blocked to form a sash window with glazing bars, has painted ashlar surround with large raised quoins and large tripartite keystone. Brickwork offset above ground floor. first floor: sash windows with glazing bars with projecting ashlar sills and flat arches with keystones. Second floor: half-size 6-pane sash windows matching those on first floor. Dentilled cornice. Hipped roof. Left return: round-arched staircase sash window with glazing bars, radial at top. Right return: as west front and with C19 flat-roofed ashlar porch added when Zetland Street opened in mid C19; 2 ridge stacks. Single- storey rear service range (later raised to 2 storeys) has ashlar quoined door surround with keystone. This was one of only 4 deeds registries set up nationally under an Act of Parliament in 1735. In 1785 the Registry moved to a new Court House designed by John Carr, and since demolished. This building originally had its access through an elegant gateway, now demolished, on the High Street. C J Davison Ingledew, History and Antiquities of Northallerton (1858), pp 302-307; Rev J L Saywell, The History and Annals of Northallerton (1885), pp 119, 137, viii-ix.

Listing NGR: SE3697093859

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332858

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Davison Ingledew, C J, The History and Annals of Northallerton, (1885), 302-307
Saywell, Reverend J L , The History and Annals of Northallerton, (1885), 119, 137

End of official listing