Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150731

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1988



Ordnance survey map of HIGH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150731 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 23:09:20.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Thornton-on-the-Hill

National Grid Reference: SE 53205 74082


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


THORNTON-ON-THE-HILL THORNTON LANE SE 57 SW (west side) 5/78 - High House - II

Farmhouse. Probably C15, with late C16 or early C17 rear wing, mid-C18 addi- tions, and alterations dated 1884, the 1884 work for Sir George Orby Wombwell. Sandstone dressed in deep courses, C20 artificial slate roofs. T-shaped plan. Main range of 2 storeys and loft, 2 bays, with lower 2-storey wing to rear left, and with 2-storey lower addition of 2 builds set back to left. Central C20 part-glazed door below narrow overlight, flanked by C20 casement windows, that to right partly in surround of old window with relieving arch above. On first floor, 16-pane sash windows, and in centre a pointed-arched panel bearing date and ligatured initials of Sir George Orby Wombwell, surmounted by a unicorn's head. Rebuilt brick end stacks, that to right surmounting a huge stepped external stack. Rear: wing has been doubled in width. Left return: blocked single light first-floor window; C19 first-floor window; loft window. Right return: to rear of external stack, blocked single-light chamfered window with trefoiled cusping. Interior: in rear wall, now forming doorway to dairy in rear wing, Tudor-arched door surround with ogee and hollow mouldings on high stops; deeply-splayed window on first floor; c.1800 cast-iron fire-grate in bedroom of left wing. The site of a deserted medieval village is marked on the 1:10 000 Ordnance Survey map just north of the farm complex, and it seems likely that some medieval work survives in situ in High House.

Listing NGR: SE5320574082


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332788

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing