CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1150764
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150764 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 03:32:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Husthwaite
National Grid Reference:
SE 51831 75112

Details

HUSTHWAITE MAIN STREET SE 5075-5175 (north side) 11/48 Church of St Nicholas 17.5.60 GV II*

Church. C12 and C15 with C17 fittings and 1895 restoration. Sandstone ashlar, lead roofs, 3-stage west tower, 5-bay nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel. C12 stone reused in lower stages of tower which has plinth with chamfered off-set, diagonal buttresses with many offsets to west; C15 ground-floor west window of 3 cinque-foiled lights in chamfered 4-centred arch; first-floor single-light louvred south opening; string course below C15 belfry with on each side a 2-light cinque-foiled louvred flat-headed chamfered opening; weathervane on roof. Nave: C12; gabled south porch has chamfered triangular-headed doorway with renewed lintel dated 1878 and hood mould; inside it, C12 round-arched south doorway of 3 orders, the outer 2 with chevron decoration, spiral capitals and shafts (one missing), and with outward-opening old door with old sneck and bolts; C19 2-light Romanesque-style windows, 1 to left of porch and 2 to right; parapet with a C17 finial at each end; on north side, blocked C12 chamfered doorway with round arch, imposts and dripmould, also small Romanesque window. C12 chancel has priest's doorway matching that of porch, but with almost illegible inscription on lintel, recorded as "1683", flanked by flat-headed windows of 2 ogee-headed lights with trefoil cusping, and plain parapet; 2-light east window with segmental-pointed head, renewed in C19; Romanesque window and later single-light on north side. Interior: chamfered segmental-pointed tower arch; wide C12 round chancel arch with imposts, and to its left a squint-like opening; in chancel, east window and priest's doorway have Romanesque splays; trefoil ogee piscina with new bowl; chancel has flat roof with some moulded principal beams; nave has C19 shallow king-post roof with struts to principal purlins. Wall monuments on north wall of chancel to Francis Goulton d.1737 of Highthorne (qv) by Taylor of York, and to Robert Pearson MA, d.1805, Archdeacon of Cleveland, Master of Coxwold Grammar School (qv Old Hall) and Minister of this parish, inscription on large white stone tablet in wooden frame; monument on north wall of nave to Robert Midgley d.1761, for 53 years Master of Coxwold Grammar School and Minister of this parish, a black inscription tablet in a grey marble frame above moulded base with panelled dado; and with broken pediment containing cartouche with coat of arms. Fittings include C17 altar rail with tapering turned balusters and knob finials flanking central gate; choir stalls made up from C17 woodwork, possibly a screen; C17 pulpit with bolection frame to panels, tester with ogee cupola and with C13 lead coffin cross mounted on rear panel; C17 box pews with knob finials, partly made up from screens with arcaded frieze; octagonal font with thick stem and broached base, C17 cover with 4 ogee ribs and inscription "BAPTIZETVR VNVS QVISQVE VESTRVM NOMINE IESV CHRISTI. ACTA 2, 38"; royal coat of arms dated 1830 above north door; oak parish chest near south door. VCH ii, pp.38-9.

Listing NGR: SE5183175112

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332758
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 38-39

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/10825/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].