Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1150769

Date first listed: 05-May-1952



Ordnance survey map of ALLERTHORPE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150769 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 02:41:27.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Swainby with Allerthorpe

National Grid Reference: SE 33017 86768


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SWAINBY WITH ALLERTHORPE GATENBY ROAD SE 38 NW (south side, off) 2/32 Allerthorpe Hall 5.5.52


Manor house. Dated 1608. Red brick, some stone dressings, pantile and plain tile roofs. 2 storeys, 6 bays. Outer bays are formed by circular towers. Shallow stone plinth. To centre a full-height gabled porch: outer opening with 4-centred arch; inner doorway has carved wooden surround with inscribed date and studded 9-panel door with original ironwork. Outer bays have 4-pane leaded casements. Wide bay to left of door has tripartite sash with glazing bars. To right of door first bay has sash with glazing bars, bay to right of this has 2-light mullion windows. Above the door is an 8- pane side-sliding sash. Other bays have similar windows as those below. Gable of porch has stone coping and shaped kneelers. Dentilled eaves. Conical roofs to outer bays, central 4 bays have hipped roof with three lateral gabled ranges on the north side. Two large ridge stacks to rear of front range, one to left has 4-diagonally set shafts, that to right has 6 similar shafts. To left return on first floor there is half timbering with lath and plaster infill, lower horizontal beam is carved, original stone mullion window to this side. Interior: ground floor - 2 early C17 panelled rooms, above one fireplace is a 3-panel overmantel with Ionic pilasters flanking carved arches and supporting frieze with anthemion and acanthus motifs with cornice. First floor: early C17 panelled room with similar overmantel as on ground floor of 2 panels. History: in 1550 Sir Thomas Lascelles Kt conveyed Manor to a Wm Robinson, Alderman of the City of York. It stayed in the Robinson Family until quite recent times. VCH, Vol 1 pp 378-380.

Listing NGR: SE3301786768


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332663

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1925), 378-380

End of official listing