CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1150775

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150775 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 06:35:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: West Tanfield

National Grid Reference: SE 26800 78742

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST TANFIELD CHURCH STREET SE 2678-2778 (west end) 10/50 Church of St Nicholas 22.8.66

GV I

Church. Early C13, late C13, C15 and C19 restoration. Coursed squared stone, ashlar, Welsh slate roof. West tower, nave, south porch, north aisle with vestry, chancel. West tower: Perpendicular, 3 stages. Offset diagonal buttresses up to belfry level. To south side a buttress like stair tower up to the belfry, to bottom is a segmental-arched doorway, above very small one-light chamfered openings. Stone bands between stages. Blank second stage. Belfry openings have pointed-arched head with hoodmoulds, cusped tracery of 2-lights. Projecting embattled parapet. West tower: window has pointed-arched head with hoodmould, of 3 lights with rectilinear tracery. Clock face below belfry to west facade. Nave: 4 bays. C15 walls, refaced 1860. South porch of c1200, outer round-arched moulded doorway with hoodmould which continues as eaves band, set in steeply gabled porch with stone roof and a tunnel vault. Inner doorway similar with board door. To left of porch a 2-light flat-headed window with hoodmould and rectilinear tracery. To right of porch 2 flat-headed 2-light windows with cusped rectilinear tracery and hoodmoulds. To right is a wide original stone offset buttress. Stone coping, gable cross. North aisle: Perpendicular, 4 bays, gabled east end. Offset angle buttresses between bays and offset diagonal buttress to east. To west is a vestry with 3-light pointed-arched cusped traceried window with hoodmould, to its east a small outshut porch with pointed-arched doorway. Three 3-light windows with rectilinear tracery and segmental heads with hoodmoulds. East window to north aisle has pointed arch with hoodmould and is of 5-lights with cusped rectilinear tracery. Stone coping, gable crosses. West window of 3-lights with pointed arch, hoodmould and rectilinear tracery. Chancel: C13, 2 bays. Walls refaced in 1860. Offset diagonal buttresses to east. Two 4-centred arched windows with hoodmoulds, of 3 cusped lights, to south. East window has pointed arch with hoodmould, of 3-lights, with intersecting tracery. Stone coping, gable cross. Interior: north arcade of 4 bays, late C13, octagonal piers and capitals, double chamfered pointed arches with hoodmoulds. Similar arch from north aisle to chancel. Chancel has pointed arch of C19. Behind the chancel arch, facing the north chapel, is a recess with moulded shallow arch to front, cusped 2-light opening through to chancel to rear and similar single light openings to east. Possibly a small chantry chapel. (A chancery was founded in 1335 to be read for Maude Marmion.) In the north aisle, some C15 stained glass with figures including a large figure of a female saint and a small crucifix. C19 hammer beam roofs. Monuments: several to the Marmion family: effigies of Sir William Marmion 1275, a lady late C14, and another lady on a tomb chest. A cross legged knight and a later C14 lady arranged as a couple placed under a tall canopy with openwork cusping and a crocketed gable perhaps late C13. Alabaster effigies of Sir John Marmion 1387 and his wife on a plain stone plinth, by her head 2 angels, by her feet a dog. All this is placed under an ironwork hearse of the same date, at each corner and on apex of ogee arches are candle spikes with leaf motif wax holders. The horizontal pieces of ironwork are castellated. Ironwork of this date over a tomb is probably unique in this country. Brass to Thomas Sutton, Rector c1492.

Listing NGR: SE2679878743

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332680

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing