KEPWICK HALL WITH ATTACHED SERVICE WING AND COACH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1150848

Date first listed: 02-Feb-1990

Statutory Address: KEPWICK HALL WITH ATTACHED SERVICE WING AND COACH HOUSE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of KEPWICK HALL WITH ATTACHED SERVICE WING AND COACH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150848 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 23:46:54.

Location

Statutory Address: KEPWICK HALL WITH ATTACHED SERVICE WING AND COACH HOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Kepwick

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 47748 90854

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEPWICK MAIN STREET, off SE 49 SE 2/23C KEPWICK HALL WITH ATTACHED SERVICE WING AND COACH HOUSE II Country house with attached service wing and coach house. 1873 with additions 1888 and alterations c.1930. Designed by Goodacre in the Neo-Jacobean style. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roofs, coped gables and kneelers, plus tall moulded stacks. Chamfered plinth, first floor band, eaves band and coped parapet, the windows are chamfered cross mullions throughout. 2 storey plus attics. South front, 3 bays, with slightly projecting wing to the right, with a 3-light window, and a similar window above. To the left a large projecting square bay window with coped parapet and a 4-light window. Above 2, 2-light windows. East garden front, 10 irregular bays, from the left 2 bays, each with 2, 2-light windows to each floor then a slightly projecting 2 bay gable wing with 3 single light windows, and above 2 similar windows, above again in the attic a similar window. Beyond a single door, with a staircase window above, then a single window to each floor with a through eaves gabled dormer above. Then a projecting gabled wing with a 3-light square bay window, with a 3-light window and a 2-light window above. Beyond the final 3 bays each have a 2-light window to each floor, with a double and single dormer above. West entrance front, 6 bays, with a projecting gabled wing to the right, with a projecting gabled porch with a chamfered segment headed doorway with a panel door, and a glazed tripartite fanlight. Above a 3-light window, with above in the gable a coat-of-arms. To the left, 2 small fixed light and above a large staircase window, then a square bay window with a 4-light window, and above a 2-light window. Beyond again 2 recessed bays with a square bay window with a 4-light window and above two, 2-light windows and above a small gabled window, with a 2-light window. Beyond a projecting gabled 3 storey wing with a single storey C20 projecting porch with a hipped roof and a glazed door plus a small plain sash. Above a 2-light window and a similar window above. Beyond to the north a 3 storey service wing behind a courtyard wall. Beyond again the coach-house around a small courtyard approached through a large round archway with a hood mould and keystone on the south, plus 2 upper 3-light windows. Interior: Entrance hall has full-height panelling installed in c.1930, with Ionic pilasters in Neo-Baroque style. Dining room has half-height C17 style panelling with a built-in sideboard and fireplace with overmantle made up from pieces of original C17 furniture. Single flight and return wooden Neo-Jaconbean style staircase. Drawing Room has very fine, mid C18 panelling re-used from a house owned by the Earl of Derby.

Listing NGR: SE4774890854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332551

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing