CHURCH OF ST RADEGUND

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1150897

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST RADEGUND, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST RADEGUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1150897 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 09:43:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST RADEGUND, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Scruton

National Grid Reference: SE 30036 92552

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SCRUTON MAIN STREET SE 39 SW (north side, off) 4/69 Church of St Radegund (formerly listed as'Church') 22.8.66 II* GV Church. C12, early C13, C14 and C15. Restoration by G Fowler Jones 1865. Rubblestone, ashlar, graduated stone slate roofs. West tower, nave with south porch, south and north aisles, chancel. Vest tower: C15, 3 stages. To west, offset diagonal buttresses up to belfry. Clock to second stage. Chamfered band. Paired chamfered ogee-arched lights to belfry openings. Moulded string course with gargoyle at each corner. Embattled parapets, pyramidal roof with weather-vane. West window, first stage, 2-light with cusped Perpendicular tracery in round-headed arch with hoodmould. South porch: 1865, gabled with Norman style doorway, stone coped gable with cross. Inside south doorway C12 with continuous roll moulding and rope motifs. South aisle, 1865, 4 bays. To left a 1-light round-headed window. To right, two 2-light plate traceried windows with hoods. North aisle has angle buttresses but no openings. 4 round cinquefoil clerestory windows of 1865. Stone coping, gable cross. Chancel: C13, C14. 3 bays. Offset angle buttresses to east end and right of left-hand bay. Left-hand bay has 2- light cusped traceried flat-headed window. To right two C13 lancets. Stone coping, gable cross. Pointed east window of 3 lights, 1865 Geometric in style. Interior: north arcade early C13 but much restored. South arcade of 1865. Both arcades of 4 bays with round piers, plain octagonal abaci, large round arches of 2 slight chamfers. Chancel arch 1865, chamfered pointed arch on shafts with leaf capitals. Monument under tower, a cartouche to Mrs Gale 1720.

Listing NGR: SE3003692552

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332353

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing